Sunday, July 19, 2009

why do we do what we do?

Have you ever wondered about your reasons for doing something? How often do we do things because we're motivated by others? Or because we want others to see us in a certain light? It's probably a pretty common part of the human condition... something about us makes us want to be liked. We want to be popular. We want to be the one others look up to.

Yeah, I've never really been into that.

I do things because I either A) like them, B) think its the right thing to do C) find whatever it is interesting. I don't wear an outfit because I think you'll like it. I wear it because I like it. I don't work hard because you want me to; I work hard because its right. This is probably one of those differentiation things, because I tend to respect people that do things for themselves rather than being motivated by others.

So... something that's been annoying me lately is the whole idea of being "green" for the sake of being green. What the heck. It's totally a fad. How many people are actually caring for the environment because its the right thing to do? How many of them would do it if there was no social kudos to be had? If it wasn't "in", how many people would be doing it? Few, if any.

Now, I have absolutely no problem with caring for the environment. I believe that we are stewards of the Earth, and that its our job to care for it. I recycle, and care about air quality and animals. But I don't care about these things because I want to tell people I'm soooo "green". On the contrary, I don't usually even want people to know that I think or act on these things. Recycling is so easy here in California... why would you not do it? Its just the right thing to do, and doesn't cost anything. No brainer.

But contrast that with the yuppies that have picked up the green movement as the new it thing. Celebrities tell us to conserve because its what they do (outwardly anyway). Most of them go home to their obscenely large houses and drive their gas guzzling SUV's just like the rest of you. But its a movement. Global warming is huge, even if it isn't provable (and its not, check the science). Google sun spots if you don't believe me... when we have less of them, it cools down. We don't create them, they have nothing to do with us, but they do influence the temp of the Earth. So anyway... being green is pretty much like having this seasons hottest handbag, or putting on your skimpiest dress to hit the bar scene on the rich side of town. It's in. That's lame. If its something thats "in", its destined to be "out" at some point. And that sucks. Because we can't afford for the fad to fade, as it unquestionably will.

How have we gotten to this point? Furthermore, how do we shut up these green idiots? Who the heck cares about how green you are! Quit bragging about it! Put your money where your mouth is.

Algore uses nearly 20 times more energy than the average American while George Bush sits on an almost completely energy efficient ranch in Crawford, TX. Haven't heard about that? Shocker.

This country is currently being run by what's "in", and its really starting to get old.

No comments:

Post a Comment